Live at Madhyamaka KMC
Experience for yourself some of the many benefits of living at Madhyamaka KMC:
- Opportunity to immerse yourself in the Kadampa way of life, at the very first centre to be established by Venerable Geshe-la
- Receive regular teachings – all residents attend regular study and meditation programmes
- Help flourish Madhyamaka KMC and directly support all other Kadampa Meditation Centres throughout the world by volunteering
- Live in a beautiful setting – peaceful but not isolated, and within easy reach of local shops and York city centre
- Welcome thousands of visitors throughout the year for meditation courses, volunteering, B&B and World Peace Cafe
Every resident attends a weekly meditation class and helps with the day-to-day running of Madhyamaka KMC and events.
A meaningful life
Madhyamaka KMC exists to bring peace and harmony to a troubled world – providing a place of peace to those who visit. By living at the centre, you have the opportunity to contribute directly to this by volunteering your time to keep it functioning for the many people who visit each year. This is done by volunteering in the World Peace Cafe, gift shop, meditation rooms, household to name but a few. This is a fantastic opportunity to meet new people and learn about meditation. Also, as so many different skills are needed to keep a centre like Madhyamaka KMC running – from publicity design to cooking, making coffees to building work and gardening – you have a fantastic opportunity to learn many new things.
A well-established KMC, Madhyamaka offers a variety of different study and meditation programmes in Modern Buddhism. There are three study programmes to choose from:
- General Programme (drop-in meditation classes)
- Foundation Programme (enrollment course)
- Teacher Training Programme (enrollment course)
All these courses enable you to further deepen your understanding and experience of Kadampa Buddhism.
This is the very first centre to be established by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. He has spent a lot of time at Madhyamaka KMC, giving teachings and granting empowerments.
Kilnwick Percy Hall has been home to Madhyamaka KMC for over 30 years, and all the retreats, empowerments and meditation events that have been held at this peaceful site contribute to the experience it brings to visitors and those who live at it.
Serving the public
This peaceful site attracts hundreds of visitors a week, to attend the meditation classes, visit the World Peace Cafe, stay in the B&B, browse the gift shop or simply stroll in the grounds, walk around the lake, or enjoy the woodlands.
Living at Madhyamaka is the perfect opportunity to get involved in all of these activities, and show the example of putting Modern Buddhism into practice.
Rooms vary from small to large, with most sharing bathroom and kitchen facilities but some ensuite rooms are available.
All rooms have central heating. Sorry, no pets, and to maintain peace and tranquility there is no TV, smoking, alcohol or drugs, loud music, meat or fish.
Want more information?
If you are considering moving to Madhyamaka KMC, we ask that you join in on a voluteering visit and see what’s it’s like to be part of the centre. Email email@example.com for more information on availability.
Another way to stay
Kadampa students from abroad are also welcome to apply for short-term (2-6 months) residency. For details and an application form for this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org